Tuesday, February 10, 2009

winter garden dreams




This out-of-character Spring weather has me dreaming about gardening... ripe tomatoes, fresh kale, cilantro straight from my backyard. Last year was my first attempt at gardening, and I can't wait for this year; new heirloom varieties to try, more of the delicious butternut squash - from the seeds I saved from last year! Anyway, since this weather certainly won't last, the only thing to do is start planning, and I'm looking forward to attending my first Seedy Saturday, an annual gardening fair and seed exchange run by the Toronto Community Gardening Network. This years, it's being held at the new Wychwood barns on February 28th, 2-6 pm. Last year, I got most of my seeds from Urban Harvest, who I discovered at a booth at Canada Blooms. Just looking at the names is exciting and intriguing: Sweet Mammoth Basil, Atomic Red Carrot, Dinosaur Kale. I can't wait to put on my mud-caked keds and get covered in dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment