Thursday, April 16, 2009

100-mile salad


Here's an easy salad for spring. It's all 100-mile (sans dressing and olives), and can be all year long, using Ontario greenhouse cucumbers and tomatoes. I can't wait to make this with the Matt's Wild Cherry Tomatoes and Marketmore Cucumbers from my garden. The feta cheese I used was this delicious stuff I found at Dufferin Grove Market today. Other purchases? Gluten-free corn bread (best darn gluten free bread I've ever had), 3-bean sprout mix, and wild garlic!

Mediterranean Salad
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, diced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
big handful of kalamata olives, pitted and halved
crumbled feta (however much or little you want)
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 or 3 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
 
Combine all the vegetables and feta. Sprinkle with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Keeps well for a day or two in the fridge. I served my leftovers on top of a big handful of sprouts - there's more than enough dressing to go around, especially after the tomatoes have been marinating for a day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment