Friday, July 1, 2011

Conquering the slimy squash

I'm not a picky eater, but there are some vegetables I don't normally buy. So, my resolution for the next few months is to pay attention to those vegetables I normally ignore, walk past, and turn my nose up at. This week had two contenders: summer squash and radishes.The former...I've had too many slimy, bland experiences, the latter is just too spicy for me. Here's this week's attempt at conquering the unloved vegetables.


Roasted Patty Pan Squash
A tasty, caramelized way of conquering the summer squash.

5 or 6 patty pans
2 green onions, cut in 1 in. chunks.
olive oil
salt and pepper
fresh herbs (I used basil and oregano)

Cut the squash in 1/2 in. slices. Toss with onions, oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 400 for 20-30 min, until brown and crispy. Toss with herbs and eat.



Roasted Radishes
roasting radishes totally changes their flavour. The spicy bite mellows, and they become sweet and delicious.

Radishes.
Oil.
S + p.
(is this really a recipe?)

Thats it - just slice them as thin as possible, toss them in oil and season, and roast at 400 for 20-30 min. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment